2018 End of Year Book Survey
I’ve seen this on a couple of blogs and I just had to do this. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to finish before the new year but this is a great way to look back throughout the year! This is BY Jamie’s End of Year Book Survey . This will be my first year participating, since it’s my first year blogging! 🙂
**2018 FINAL READING STATS**
Number Of Books You Read: 145
Number of Re-Reads: 0
Genre You Read The Most From: Fantasy
1. Best Book You Read In 2018?
This question is always one of the hardest! I just posted my 2018-5 star reads. I’ll link that here. I’ll just do maybe a top 6 here. I will also link my reviews.
Five Star Books of 2018 Post
- The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Read
- Nevernight by Jay Kristoff
- Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor
- Eliza and Her Monsters by Fransesca Zappia
- Muse of Nightmares by Laini Taylor
- The Cruel Prince by Holly Black
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
I’m going to go with Everlessby Sara Holland here. I heard so many good things and I did not like this book. I believe it was one of my lowest rated books of the year. I know that I’m in the minority here but that’s okay. 🙂
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
The Prince and the Dressmakerby Jen Wang was the most surprising because it was my first graphic novel… ever! I loved it and it opened me up to some more of the world. Speaking of…. SAGA! 🙂
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
I know that I’ve pushed, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo and Saga to a lot of people. I know of a couple, who have read Saga because I loved it. So that’s one I know of.
5. Best series you started in 2018? Best Sequel of 2018? Best Series Ender of 2018
The Cruel Prince by Holly Black hands down! Only because it’s still going on. I’ve also read The Wicked King and LOVED it so much. I cannot wait for more.
I haven’t read too many sequels. I did start and finish the Six of Crows duology this year. I’m going to go with Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo!
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2018?
Oh no! How can I pick one!? I’ve read soo many authors that are new to me this year. I don’t know that I can choose one. I’ll list some that I’ve discovered and now love…
- Laini Taylor
- Leigh Bardugo
- Jay Kristoff (solo)
- V.E. Schwab
- Becky Albertalli
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
SAGA by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples… SAGA… SAGA..!! I’m currently trying to collect the volumes, so my husband can read them. Thanks to everyone who recommended it to me! I don’t think I would have ever picked up a graphic novel until this year. Thanks blogger friends. 🙂
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
The Poppy War by R.F. Kuang. I read this solely on people’s recommendations. I don’t know if I would have picked it up otherwise. This book is fantastic and I cannot wait for book two!!
9. Book You Read In 2018 That You Would Be MOST Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Emergency Contact by Mary H.K. Choi. I loved this book and it’s such a feel good book! I don’t typically re-read books but if I did, this would be one!
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2018?
I love purple and this cover is just as beautiful as the inside!
11. Most memorable character of 2018?
Mia from the Nevernight series is a hard to forget! Definitely a most memorable character for me. Also, Lazlo from Strange the Dreamer.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2018?
Strange the Dreamer for sure! Both books are beautiful.
13. Most Thought-Provoking/Life-Changing Book of 2018?
Girl Made of Stars by Ashley Herring Blake is intense and really thought provoking.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2018 to finally read?
I loved Warcrossby Marie Lu. There’s actually a lot of books that I couldn’t believe I waited until this year! I don’t want to talk about a lot of the same books, so here’s another. I haven’t read the sequel and I’ve heard mixed reviews. I’m scared that it will ruin my love for Warcross!
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2018?
I’m definitely going to have to go with one from Muse of Nightmares. There are so many and it’s so hard to choose!
“Wishes don’t just come true. They’re only the target you paint around what you want. You still have to hit the bull’s-eye yourself.”
16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2018?
Shortest book: Gmorning, Gnight! by Lin-Manuel Miranda & Jonny Sun- 225
Longest book: Voyager by Diana Gabaldon- 1059
17. Book That Shocked You The Most?
Reign the Earth by A.C. Gaughen was a shock because I haven’t seen many people talk about it. I loved this book so much! It’s so dark and deep. It was a wonderful fantasy that I can’t wait to jump back into with book two!
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
Alucard and Rhy all the way!! I loved this series and I ship them forever!!
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
I’m going to go with Mia and Mr. Kindley from The Nevernight series. I love their banter.
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2018 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Oh this is a hard one. I could go with so many but I don’t want to use The Cruel Prince for everything.. haha.. I’m going with Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. I really liked this one and I am so sad that it took me so long to read this one.
21. Best Book You Read In 2018 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure/Bookstagram, Etc.:
Okay, I’m going to just say that it’s probably more than half of the books I’ve read this year. I’ve had so many bloggers recommend books that I love. I think I’m going to go with The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo. I would have never picked up this book because the cover is awful. I loved this book so much though! Also, teaches me to stop judging books by their covers!!! I usually don’t read a lot of books that have too much hype but I gave in. I’m so glad I did, in this case!
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2018?
Lazlo from Strange the Dreamer! I love this character so much and he’s pretty much one of the best fictional characters that I’ve ever read. ❤
23. Best 2018 debut you read?
Seriously, such a hard question. I’m going to go with, City of Brass by S.A. Chakraborty. This was also recommended to me by a lot of people. I’m glad I listened because I also really loved this book!
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
I’m going with Kingdom of Ash. There are sooo many worlds that Maas brings together in this book. You learn about a lot of them throughout the series. I think it was really impressive.
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
Geekerella by Ashley Poston was SO fun and really did put a smile on my face. I really loved this one and I’m so sad that I was declined for her next book. 😦
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2018?
Us Against You by Fredrik Backman. All of his books make me cry! Haha. I love him though and I really enjoyed this read too.
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
The Bird and the Blade by Megan Bannen was so good. I don’t know why I didn’t see it talked about more!
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
A Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa Tahir always finds a way… I really can’t wait for the last book. This one was rough and intense! Such a great book though.
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2018?
Sadie by Courtney Summers was unique and different! I was actually sent a physical copy of this book! I’m not sure how or why because I’ve never received another book in the mail. lol. I loved this book and it was my first by this author. We get Sadie’s story and what really happened. At the same time, we have a podcast that’s interviewing and investigating to find out what has happened. Really cool and I really enjoyed this book.
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
I’m not sure that any book has made me really mad. This one I was really mad that I didn’t love. I had so many people say good things about this but it just fell really flat for me. I didn’t love it and I’m pretty mad about that. lol
I started blogging this year, so there are SO many book blogs that I love and are my favorites. There are so many and here are just some that I’ve really gotten to know over the year or just love their blog. In no particular order…
- Vera @ Unfiltered Tales
- Hamad @ The Book Prescription
- Sara @ The Bibliophagist
- Aurora @ Aurora Librialis
- Brittany @ Perfectly Tolerable
I’m sure that I’m forgetting so many!! <3<3<3
2. Favorite post you wrote in 2018?
I really love the Top Ten Tuesday posts because there are so many blogs that participate and I can really blog hop. I think my favorite post of this year is not really book related. Oops. It’s when I shared my Infertility journey with everyone and then I guess my pregnancy announcement! I know many of you know the journey and I appreciate all the support and love we received, especially when we announced that we finally became pregnant! What I loved about my Infertility post were the many bloggers who shared their struggle with me too. It was nice to meet some bloggers and read their stories too. Here are my posts, in case you are wondering…
3. Favorite bookish related photo you took in 2018?
I got to meet Sabaa Tahir and Colleen Hoover!! I think those are definitely my favorite bookish photos this year. 🙂
4. Best bookish event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, etc.)?
SAME AS ABOVE!! ^^^^ Meet and Greet with Sabaa and Colleen!
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2018?
When I got an e-ARC for The Wicked King from Edelweiss! I am still convinced it’s a mistake because I just got declined for two books in a row. Whatever! Best moment. haha
6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?
Finding the right balance for reading and blogging. I started in February and trying to figure out a schedule and what works for me was really challenging. I think I’m kind of in a groove now… except.. I’m not sure how the baby (May) will change it all again! lol
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
My Infertility Blows. Personal Update was number one, most viewed. I shared that above, if you want to check it out. Number one in terms of comments is, Top 10 Tuesday: Books I Loved but Will Never Re-read.
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
Series I Need to Finish! I posted this when I was new to blogging. Basically, I probably had 5 followers and only 1 liked and commented on it. I would like to know if any of these are worth finishing.
9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Oh. my. Gosh. 100% best discovery is Book Outlet!! I have spent so much money there but the deals are amazing. I’ve purchased many of my most wanted books on that website. I love it times 1000! My bank account sure does not though. 🙂
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I hit my Goodreads challenge several times. I started out with 25 and eventually made it 100. I’m at 145 right now. I am in an AtoZ challenge and I still need to finish. I’m hoping to this weekend! *crossing fingers* because I’m cutting it close. I only need one more and then I’ll use my freebie.
***Links are to Goodreads!!!***
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2018 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2019?
There are so many books that I didn’t get to last year. I’m hoping to this year. I think my number one priority is, The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden. I’ve had so many people recommend this book this year. I recently had many, many more recommend it since it was a good winter book.
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2019 (non-debut)?
It’s definitely this one! It comes out soon-ish and I cannot wait. It’s the sequel to Reign the Earth, which I loved. I cannot wait to read Imprison the Sky and I hope it’s just as good as the first!
3. 2019 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
I don’t have one yet! I KNOW! So please recommend some to me!! I haven’t had the chance to research any yet. 😦 😦
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2019?
Ahhhhh… I cannot wait for this one!!!! I am so excited and scared for this ending. Darkdawn by Jay Kristoff!
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2019?
I’m hoping to read more of the books that I own and have been on my TBR forever. I really hope that I’m still able to read with a baby. Anyone who has kids, please tell me that my reading life is not over!!!
6. A 2019 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone (if applicable):
THIS. BOOK. IS. AMAZING. I am SOOOO glad that it’s time for reviews to start popping out and now I can really talk about this one! I loved it so much and was so lucky to get an e-ARC months ago! You can read my review here: The Wicked King
Wow, this took me sooo long to do. Pretty much hours. I love this though. It was great to look back and see the books that I loved and didn’t love so much. I really can’t wait for 2019!! I want to thank this community for being so amazing this year. I really appreciate and love you all. <3<3<3