I want to thank Netgalley and St. Martin’s Press for providing me an e-ARC of this book! All thoughts and opinions are my own. 🙂
Publication Date: January 15
This seems to be a really anticipated book for a lot of people. It was good but I just felt like some things were lacking. It could be because I was drawing so many SoC vibes but it’s definitely not like that duology.
- The plot to this book is very interesting. It’s inspired by the Tower of babel, from the Bible. There’s also a lot of people with affinities that make for an interesting mix of characters.
- I really did like the characters. I got so many SoC vibes from them. It’s a group of misfits that band together. Most of them have affinities for different things, rounding out a pretty good group. What I liked most about the characters, was the diversity! They are all from different cultures and walks of life, I appreciated that. I also loved the banter between them. It was really entertaining.
- There is a touch of romance in this book but it’s very much in the background. I think in the next book, it’s going to be a much bigger presence though.
- The did like the ending! I did not see that coming and makes me really excited for the next book.
- Even though, the plot was interesting, it was confusing at times. There were a lot of times that there was so much going on that it became difficult to follow. There’s a lot of math and puzzles and a lot of the time, I had no idea what was being talked about. I don’t normally like math, so I think my eyes just glazed over most of that stuff. The world building in this book is so not good. There’s a lot of the world and magic system that I would have loved to be more clear. I felt really confused a lot of the time and it’s the weakest part of the book for me.
- I wish that there would have been more detail about the villain. I was really unclear on who, why, when, or what was going on with him. It all just felt too much of a mystery to me!
- I’m not sure if anyone can clear this up for me but…. was anyone else confused about the Gilded Wolves part? Is this where the masks come in? I feel like it was just an after thought and kind of came out of nowhere.
Overall, I did enjoy this book. The characters definitely saved this book for me. I will be reading the next book because the ending has me totally hooked. I did find it a bit lacking but it was a good read. 🙂