I was really surprised that I didn’t see much talk about book 1 in this series, Reign the Earth. I really loved it. I purchased it, even though I had already read it! That’s how you know my love is real. haha This book was a great sequel!
What I liked:
- The characters. We get a lot of new characters in this book. I was a bit confused at first, because I was not aware that this was more like a companion sequel, than a straight up continued story, with the previous characters. I am not sure if the rest of the series will be this way. At some point, we do catch up with the previous characters but we don’t really know what their journey has been. Anyways, I loved Aspasia. Her life is so difficult and complicated and I loved how she made it work. I loved how despite that, she was so compassionate and cared so much about the people around her. Her crew was a great set of supporting characters. I really learned to love many of them and what they all stood for.
- The plot was quite interesting. It is more of a character-driven book but I got enough action in the plot to keep me interested. We are on a ship and Aspasia and her crew, who are capturing slaves, for someone else to sell. There is a lot of grey moral area here. It is such a difficult thing to think about and Aspasia has to live it. There’s a lot of times that it really makes you think.. what is right? what is wrong? We also get more of the magic explained in this book. We get to see another side of the Elementae and I can’t wait to see what else we learn in the next book.
- The relationships. I loved the many different relationships that we have in this book. We have a romance, friendship, siblings, and ex-loves. Honestly, what I got most from this book is a theme of family. Some were really intense and moving.
What I didn’t like:
- The loss of the previous characters. Even though, this book eventually merges with the first book, I really missed my original characters. I would have loved to know what they have been up to. Plus, I really loved Shalia and I missed her voice in this book. I am hoping that we get more of her in the next book.
- Predictability. I felt like a lot of the book as really predictable. She had a lot of foreshadowing that was really easy to pick up on. I did have a few surprises but for the most part, I did see things coming.
Overall, I really enjoyed this sequel! I can’t wait to read the next book and who it will be about. I really hope that more people will pick up this series! It can be a tough read because it’s got some serious themes but it’s so worth it.
2 thoughts on “Imprison the Sky by A.C. Gaughen”
This book has such a gorgeous cover! Great post!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you! Yes, I need to add this one to my shelves!
LikeLiked by 1 person