About Tour the World in 30 Books:
This is a blog tour hosted by Sammie @ The Bookwyrm’s Den in support of her local public library’s Diverse Book Drive. The CCPL—a small, rural library in an area with a high poverty rate and a very homogeneous population, where people rarely have the means to travel or experience new perspectives. However, the library doesn’t believe that should stop people from learning more about the world around them, so they’re running a Diverse Book Drive through the month of September in an attempt to bring the rest of the world to the county instead. With a focus on MG and YA books, the CCPL aims to expose especially its young patrons to new and diverse perspectives and cultures.
Title: The Poppy War
Author: R.F. Kuang
Publisher: Harper Voyager
Published: May 1, 2018
“War doesn’t determine who’s right. War determines who remains.”
10 reasons to read The Poppy War:
- A morally grey protagonist. Rin has to make some very hard choices and in this brutal world, it really helps to not be so black and white.
- NO love triangle! This is definitely a fantasy book that really has no romance. It’s refreshing to read a book that’s not all about a romantic relationship.
- The world building is fantastic.
- R.F. Kuang wrote this when she was 19!!! This book is absolutely amazing and that’s so impressive. I dare you not to be impressed.
- Many of the characters are complex and their choices will make you question things… the depth is unreal.
- There’s so much Eastern Asian history, politics, and culture in this book. It is based off the Second Sino-Japanese War.
- Kuang does not shy away from anything in this book. It’s brutal, harsh and sometimes hard to take in. She’s showing you the harsh realities of war and that is important.
- If you are looking for a book that makes you think and stay with you, this is perfect for you. You won’t be likely to forget this one.
- There’s also a lot of supernatural elements- not to worry fantasy lovers!
- An ending like no other- I mean it.. Your jaw will drop!
I do have to say, there are a lot of triggers in this book. Pretty much any that you can think of and more. Keep that in mind.
How You Can Help!
Please consider donating from their wishlist! Hardcovers are preferred. Book donations are used at the discretion of the library.
- Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/3A68Y0WPKN944
- Book Depository: https://www.bookdepository.com/wishlists/WCD650
- Bookshop: https://bookshop.org/wishlists/a745073e127380f9801a59a39ff7b960a5e9c70e
**If you order from Bookshop, please send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org so the book can be removed to avoid duplicate purchases, as the site does not automatically remove them.**
Other ways to donate:
- Amazon book idea wish list: https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/3OWBBXXOXVS2K
- Monetary donations: PayPal to email@example.com
- Gently used or other new book donations mailed to:
Casey County Public Library
238 Middleburg St.
Liberty, KY 42539
Here’s the schedule of many more awesome bloggers & their book choices for this tour:
September 2: Lauren @ Always Me – The Epic Crush of Genie Lo
September 3: Toya @ The Reading Chemist – Felix Ever After
September 4: Michelle @ Carry A Big Book – Sharks in the Time of Saviors
September 5: Shenwei @ READING (AS)(I)AN (AM)ERICA – The Astonishing Color of After
September 6: Maria @ A Daughter of Parchment and Paper – Patron Saints of Nothing
September 7: Bri @ Bri’s Book Nook – True Friends (Carmen Browne)
September 9: Sienna @ Daydreaming Book Lover – Loveless
September 10: Kerri @ Kerri McBookNerd – Raybearer
September 11: Noly @ The Artsy Reader – The Name Jar
September 12: Jacob @ The Writer’s Alley – Forest of Souls
September 13: Keri @ Are You My Book – The Tea Dragon Society
September 14: Shannon @ It Starts at Midnight – The Space Between Worlds
September 15: Melissa @ Ramblings of a Jedi Librarian – Girl in Translation
September 16: Livy @ Shelves of Starlight – Clap When You Land
September 17: Crystal @ Lost in Storyland – American Born Chinese
September 18: Lili @ Lili’s Blissful Pages – A Wish in the Dark
September 19: Leslie @ Books Are The New Black – The Poppy War
September 20: Noura @ The Perks of Being Noura – Love From A to Z
September 21: Crini @ Crini’s – A Pale Light in the Black
September 22: Rachelle @ Rae’s Reads and Reviews – Dear Haiti, Love Alaine
September 23: Dini @ DiniPandaReads – Wicked As You Wish
September 24: Madeline @ Mad’s Books – Spin the Dawn
September 25: Tessa @ Narratess – Brace Yourself
September 26: Kimberly @ My Bookish Bliss – Truly Madly Royally
September 27: Rena @ Bookflirting 101 – Anna K: A Love Story
September 28: Susan @ Novel Lives – Burn the Dark
September 29: Arina @ The Bookwyrm’s Guide to the Galaxy – A Song of Wraiths and Ruin
September 30: Maya @ http://mybookishbliss.com/ – Jackpot
Thanks for stopping by and I hope you take a moment to help out with this awesome cause!! ❤